The Congregation of the Most Holy Sacrament was founded by St. Pierre-Julien Eymard in Paris in 1856. The purpose of the community’s fathers was to glorify the Eucharist through the exposition and adoration of the Holy Sacrament. In 1903, the community was abolished in France and its members dispersed throughout the world. Some came to Canada and settled in 1915 in Montreal, Terrebonne and Quebec City. The fathers of the Most Holy Sacrament who came to Quebec City settled on Sainte-Geneviève Hill, where they built a small wooden church near the current-day street known as Côte Saint-Sacrament.
In 1920, the small church was moved to allow the construction, between 1920 and 1923, of the church that stands there today. In 1921, Father Auguste Pelletier founded the Parish of the Très-Saint-Sacrement, which would later give its name to the district. The church opened for worship in 1924. The community transferred ownership of the church to the parish in 1994.
There are several works of art in the Église du Très-Saint-Sacrement. The communion table was designed by architect Adrien Dufresne of Beauport. It is made of bronze combined with mosaics and marble in various colours. It contains several symbols and has statuettes of 18 saints, including Eucharistic saints. Its construction lasted three years, with the execution of the marble pieces taking the longest to complete.
The stalls, pews and woodwork in golden oak were done by craftsmen of the Trudel family in Saint-Romuald. The stained glass windows and rosettes are the work of Marius Plamondon, a master glassworker from Sillery who contributed to the revival of stained glass art and sculpture in Quebec.
The church has a reliquary, sculpted by Eugène Bussière, containing the relics of St. Eymard. Inside the wax effigy there is a relic of the saint. The body is clothed in a cassock, a chasuble and a golden drape, and has shoes designed by craftspeople from the parish.
Through the use of modern materials and construction methods to set off its neo-medieval architecture and magnificent works of art, the Église du Très-Saint-Sacrement is a magnificent synthesis of the contemporary world and respect for traditional values.
Points of interest :
The stained glass windows and rosettes
The communion table
The high altar
The reliquary of St. Eymard
- 1330 Chemin Ste-Foy
- Québec, Québec
- G1S 2N5
- Phone: 418-527-2555