This neo-Roman church was constructed following the plans of architect Joseph-Ferdinand Peachy and has a great architectural and ornamental richness. Dedicated to the Sacred Heart, it is filled with magnificent paintings by Charles Huot. Actually, this man dedicated six years of his life (1886-1892) to creating ten paintings and eighteen frescos to the glory of God. These works of art are classified by the Minister of Cultural Affairs. In visiting the church, you have the opportunity to admire the magnificent vault where “le paradis” (paradise), “le jugement dernier” (the final judgement), “l’enfer” (hell), “la fin du monde” (the end of the world) and “la transfiguration” (the transfiguration) are placed.
The glorious sanctuary, with the three-dimensional paintings that never cease to amaze visitors, is dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. It was created in part by the William Drum studio, according to the plans of architect Joseph-Ferdinand Peachy. The main altar, built in 1920 by Joseph Villeneuve, of the famous Villeneuve studio in Saint-Romauld, replaced the altar that was created in 1878 by his brother Ferdinand.
- 215, Avenue des Oblats
- Québec, Québec
- G1K 9A4
- Phone: 418-525-7550