In 1875, the residents of Cap Blanc lodged a request with Archbishop Mgr. Taschereau for the construction of a church in their sector. After several requests, the Archbishop of Québec finally consented to authorize the erection of a church in Cap Blanc, which would be an extension of Notre-Dame de Québec. Construction began in 1877, according to the plans of Joseph-Ferdinand Peachy, a prominent Québec architect of the time.
In 1891, while they were working on the interior décor, a fire ravaged half the houses of the parish and also damaged the church. A piece of wood has been placed on one of the walls of the church in memory of this event. Architect Tanguay was asked to oversee the repairs of the church, which were completed in 1892.
Placed under the protection of Notre-Dame-de-la-Garde, the patron saint of sailors, this church is an important witness to the marine history of Québec. The church is situated near the St. Lawrence River and was constructed on a former wharf, therefore giving you the opportunity to look out over the river from the doorsteps of the church.
The medallions of the vault, which represent the twelve apostles, and the ex-votos that cover the walls will catch your attention from the first glance. The retable that glorifies the Sacred Heart of Jesus is also particularly striking. The main altar is the work of Ferdinand Villeneuve and was originally constructed for the Saint-Romauld Church in 1856. However, it was given to the church of Cap Blanc in 1878. Two sculptures, a “Good Shepherd” and a “Chalice”, sculpted in bas-relief, as well as several other statues and paintings of the time also embellish this charming place.
We also find, in the sanctuary of the church, donations and works of the parishioners themselves. The pulpit, a donation from Louis Couture, dates back to 1920 and was sculpted at the studio of the Saint-Hilaire brothers. There are two polychrome wood sculptures, the Grand Crucifix and l’Agnus Dei, created by Édouard Pelchat who was a craftsman of the parish. The church also houses numerous large paintings, two of which were donated by the Giguère and Fradette families.
Points of Interest :
- The ex-votos
- The medallions, found in the vault, that represent the twelve apostles
- The pulpit
- The main altar
- 761, Rue Champlain
- Québec, Québec
- G1K 4J6
- Phone: 418-522-5000