The history of Notre-Dame-de-l’Annonciation Church goes back to the time of the Huron mission. Pierre-Joseph Chaumonot, a Jesuit priest, was in charge of this mission. In 1697, the Hurons had to leave their territory and move to a new village further north, which they called “la Jeune Lorette” (young Lorette). The former mission, that would eventually become the site of the parish, therefore took the name of “Vieille Lorette” (old Lorette) that eventually became, in 1722, l’Ancienne-Lorette.
The present-day church was erected between 1907 and 1910, following the plans of architect David Ouellet and his adopted son Pierre Lévesque, the latter being the architect of several churches throughout the province of Québec (Saint-Étienne-de-Lauzon, Saint-Louis de l’Île-aux-Coudres, and others). Notre-Dame-de-l’Annonciation Church follows the Beaux-Arts style that mixes both classical and gothic styles in order to produce an extraordinary result.
Dedicated to Our Lady of the Annunciation, this church houses a large collection of church objects and paintings, of which the most remarkable are available for the public to view.
Paintings by Joseph Légaré and two paintings by Louis Jobin, one of Christ’s crucifixion and the other of the Madonna, are among the most impressive works of art. An interpretation centre situated near the altar dedicated to the Virgin Mary presents the works and undertakings of Father Chaumont, the founder of the parish.
The centre houses, among other things, a model of the original chapel. The Notre-Dame-de-l’Annonciation Parish is the second oldest parish in the Québec Diocese.
The church’s Casavant organ was especially made for this church in 1920, with exceptional acoustics being adapted for the building. Several renowned artists have given concerts at this church.
Points of Interest :
- The Casavant organ
- 1625, Rue Notre-Dame
- L'Ancienne-Lorette, Québec
- G2E 3B4
- Phone: 418-872-1441